Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tour Pt.3

Welcome to the Hangar.

I wonder if I ever had any teachers that shared in my ideals, but were never in the capacity to tell me about them. I suppose its possible, seeing as those who teach are interested in nurturing young minds. I still long for adult companionship I guess. I still try and find teachers who will share conversation with me, push me in the right direction, and help me justify my overwhelming desire to equal the playing field.

Ryan, who booked us in South Carolina, made me begin to think about that. When he got home from teaching his 4th grade class, with groceries in both arms, I was already engaged in conversation about sustainable farming and the importance of small business'. He shook my hand and explained that the growing season began earlier in South Carolina and that he would make us dinner after he put some early-season seeds in the ground.

The Hangar is what it sounds like, I suppose: an old hangar, approved for residential space, with a kitchen in front, and a sort of bike-collective in the back. The walls are painted yellow and green, and multiple times per week, they invite local and touring bands into their home.

We were touched by their immediate kindness, and interest in us as people. Everyone who walked in greeted us warmly, and shook our hands. They had the best animals too! 3 dogs: Tuesday, Grace, and Rambo, and one cat: Moo Moo, who seemed to enjoy his playful fights with Tuesday. I can't tell if he really believed that he was feline, or canine. Either way, he shared in eating Apple Jacks with me.

Tyler and I played, what we believe to be one of the best shows we've ever participated in. Not that we even played that well (Tyler's guitar needs to be set up real bad and he broke 3 strings!), but the amount of support from everyone their was incredible. I only dream of shows where no one touches alcohol, and everyone watches all of the bands, and finds something about all of them that they like.

Later that night, I would be sitting at a kitchen table with Joe and Marcus telling them how much the accessibility of local music meant to me. I told them about the Artspace, and kids who would smoke/drink in the parking lot, and about the quarrels outside that led to the distrust of the Gloucester PD and eventually the town.

...Not the Hangar. The shows are well organized, and well attended, but everyone is there for the music. It's not a social event for people to get hammerfaced and rip butts in the parking lot. It is a genuine, earnest place for people to come and experience live music as it is meant to be heard, amongst friends.

It starts from the top too. The folks at the Hangar are ethically sound: vegan, straightedge, you can call it whatever you want, but they live healthy, and promote a healthy life-style just by doing what they do.

Joe, Marcus, and I walked to a dumpster about a mile and a half from their apartment. We raided the dumpster for bagels that Tyler and I could have for breakfast. Yeah we're are touring band, but how is it that the whole world has our back?

I've realized a couple things about music and community:

- Its vitally important to young people, but even more important to their futures.
- Always cook for touring bands.
- Ask questions. People want to talk about themselves...and, its how we learn.
- Open your door to strangers. Help whoever is there to be helped.
- Music is the glue that holds walls together.
- If you have shows, don't let them loose their true purpose.
- If you have shows, be there watching them... It starts from the top.

If I had to run away from home today, I'd go to South Carolina. I think Tyler agrees. We could have stayed there forever.

Today, we drove 9 hours to Orlando, Florida. We're playing at this hip little joint called the Stardust Video and Cafe. They made us an eggplant sandwich, it was delicious (but expensive).

The show is about to start any minute now so I will post later!