Monday, September 26, 2011

urban haikus/not safe to walk on yet

I don't care if we ever loved each other
We never walk alone
and I can now see.

David mourned and fasted for 7 days when the Lord killed his first born son as a punishment from taking Bathsheba away from Uriah. On the 7th day, when his son dies, he breaks his fast and returns to normal life. It is at this point in which Bathsheba becomes David's wife in the eyes of the Lord and David succeeds against Ammon. This gives me great hope.

Standing, in the middle of a floor of shattered glass, a spatula in one hand frozen in mid-movement. Seconds before, it had been moving to flip a potato latke. Cooking food, for bands on the road. Seconds before, there had been screaming, they were begging me to take a side. I couldn't. I can't. I think alone. My thoughts are alone, and yet I crave togetherness? Tell me I don't walk alone, and I will not require a presence.

Everything stopped. Ryan picked me up like a bag of gold, a child half asleep in her father's arms, and wiped the glass off my feet. I heard a noise escape my mouth. Then I got the broom and swept up the consequences of someone else's actions. It still falls back on me, the outsider.

Last night I sat on Hank and Emily's porch with their teenage son and asked him why he believes in God. He handed me a piece of quartz crystal and said, "The heaven declare the glory of God" (Psalm 19). I ran my fingers over it. He meant it as a reflection, as the greatness that is our earth, the mysteries, and the wonders.
"Do you know what kind of rock you'll find quartz on?" I asked.
"No."
"Granite."
He didn't respond for a long time.

Listening to James and Reuben on the front steps, I thought of what Ryan had said to me in my living room when I asked him the same question I asked Justus last night: "My logic wasn't cutting it. I could see the love and the light at the bottom of every Christian's heart." This light comes from the guidance that is with you through every decision. Maybe these are still folk beliefs, as my father told me they were, but I am trying to understand.

No comments: