Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Helen and Steve

I'm on the email list for the Massachusetts Animal Rights Coalition, or MARC. I always imagine two people being in charge because of the email address...Their names are Helen and Steve.

I never challenge my friends beliefs in order to keep the peace. Here is an incomplete list of why I believe, deep down, with no ifs, ands, or buts, that veganism is the right way to go:

1. Animals have distinct personalities. Our cats and dogs do, but in China they eat them. Cows do, but we eat them, even though in India they do not. Nobody is right, or wrong...and everybody somewhere is eating an animal that is considered a pet somewhere else.

2. Chicken farmers are sharecroppers. That's one step up from Slavery. They take out massive loans on the behalf of the companies they farm for and never make enough money to earn it back. They make as much money as anyone in a minimum wage job, except for the eternal debt thing. Also, technology is constantly being updated, and farmers are forced to update on their dollar, no matter how inhumane the updates may be. Also, exposure to the antibiotics in the chicken feed puts them at risk for incurable infections.

3. Factory Farming is anti-nature. It has destroyed natural resources, spread preventable diseases, and fooled helpless Americans. There is no point in fighting nature because it will always win. In this particular case, it will destroy us. Animals should be fed what there stomachs were built to digest. Corn should not be subsidized because our food should not be paid for by our taxes.

4. The dairy industry is directly linked to the veal industry. In order for Cows to produce milk, they must be pregnant. Male calves are sent to become veal...which may or may not be the most inhumane form of meat known to man.

5. Chickens raised for eggs live in battery cages. There is no room for them to move. It is completely inhumane exploitation of their resources.

6. Smithfield, Virginia...

7. Our agricultural system is fucked. By not boycotting it, you are selfishly condoning it because you "like meat," or "really couldn't live without cheese." Buy your own cow, put your own energy into it, and stop being part of this unhealthy system.

6 comments:

Chelsea Maida said...

Being vegan is neat, yes. And it does a lot of good for a lot of animals (and people) all over, but with your whole "no if, ands, or buts" statement, I sort of want to remind you of something.
Some people actually can't live without these things. For example, me.

When I went vegan, I was under complete monitoring of my team of doctors, we were all hoping this would help the seemingly endless list of medical issues I've had since birth, including my heart problems.

We (I) did everything I needed to do to be healthy and supply my body with what it needed to work properly and happily, but it still failed me, and I mean physically.

For some people, if they don't eat meat (different types depending on their bodies, for example, I need red meat) they face a very scary reminder that they might (or will) die.

So please, while your informing the masses remember that not everyone was built the same way, and sadly there are a lot of us who have to do things they don't want to do just to be able to sit up in bed in the morning.

Being constantly reminded that what I need to keep going is a dead, rotting, corpse and the stealing of their 'natural' products every single day is hard and painful enough. But to be told that what I(we) need to do to be somewhat okay is no exception is, sorry to say, but extraordinarily insensitive.

I just hope you remember that it's not just the animal rights you should be looking out for.

Ali said...

Health aside, there are farms where animals are raised humanely and slaughtered locally.

At my farm we have a CSA pickup for a months worth of meat.

Local eggs, milk, cheese, and honey can be purchased at almost any farmers market, as well as in certain CSA type shares.

There are ways to not be part of the system that I wrote about. I didn't even mention health. I understand in your case it worked against you, but I personally feel the best that I've felt in years. I appreciate your counterpoint though!

Anonymous said...

waiting for the vegan gas chamber, hitler

Chelsea Maida said...

I tend (unless if I don't have access to and I'm not doing well, health-wise) to only eat meat that I know where it comes from (so how it's treated, fed, etc as much as I can know.)

Whether you mentioned health or not, you have to realize the words and approach you choose can be quiet insensitive. The whole "no if, ands, or buts" thing is a strong example.
no ifs, ands, and buts is self-explanatory, there's not exceptions. so to someone who truly stands by that, they means health isn't in their eye sight.

Just a heads up so you don't dig yourself a hole with someone you don't know later in life.

Ali said...

Please don't talk down to me.

I live with 6 omnivores and I've never challenged the way the eat. Naturally we joke with each other about it, but they've made their choice.

My family has also made its choice. However, what bases of understanding do they have?

When it comes down to it, nobody wants to feel guilty about their consumer choices, especially the food they eat. Who voluntarily poisons themselves? Advertisements reaffirm that we are on the right track, so when they are approached with fact, they can swear it off as radicalism or propaganda.

I don't go around shoving my beliefs in anyone's face because I believe everyone should come to their own conclusions about things. However, if you held some knowledge, or believed really deeply in something, wouldn't you want to share it?

I can't apologize for this Chelsea, because this is how I feel. I know you're very conscious of what you put in your body because of your health issues. I also know that you're a conscious consumer. That's all well and good, but not everyone is, and I see no point in keeping them in the dark.

Chelsea Maida said...

First off, I would like to completely assure you that I'm not talking down to you, I'm just not filling my sentences with smiley faces and exclamation marks like I usually do because this isn't a conversation for that. Once again, plain text is a lot harder to 'hear' than a conversation in person.

That's no problem, you know that I have absolutely no issue with informing others of things they might not be aware of.

I just wanted to remind you that when you write or discuss things such as this, you need to not only just think and remember other situations but include it in your conversation. Otherwise you come off militant and very "black and white" as some people put it.

Just be aware of how you spread your information and the knowledge you've learned, you're mentioning the choices of others and your respect for them, but in your post I felt like their choice wasn't an option in your eyes and that they were all just "wrong."
Again, the no 'ifs, ands or buts.' I know I keep bringing that up but it's just the clearest example of tone in conversation. The entire post was just very aggressive and lacking any room for others' positions or "excuses."

I just don't want to see you turn into a militant, intolerant vegan. A year ago you spoke of your respect of others' decisions and how they lived their lives. A "this is how I live, it's not for everyone" tone.

And again, I'm sorry that you thought this was some sort of attack, I know it's the internet, and many use it to talk down to others or just be outright mean, but I thought you knew that I never have any intention of that. I treat this just as I would real life, and this conversation is no different to me than it would be if I saw you again. If I do happen to see you again, and you feel like bringing this up, I would love to talk about it in real life if it would be nicer/easier for you, I don't mind. :) I think it's an important discussion to have!