Friday, July 10, 2009

The Seaside EP


Owen (Mike Kinsella), released an EP this month. It is his first release since the acclaimed "At Home With..." which was released in November of 2006.

The 7 song release begins with "Heads Will Ache." My first reaction was "hey I know this song," setting the stage for the rest of the album. The song, although one of my favorites, is a worse version of "Everyone Feels Like You," off of Owen's sophmore album, "No Good for No one Now." He replaces the dramatic ending of the original, replacing it with soft, droaning, noodly guitar parts.

He covers "More than Words" by Extreem. I never liked the song much and I don't think he does it much justice.

He also covers Bruce Springsteens, "Stolen Car," replacing the lyrics with "Stolen Bike." This is probably the best song on the EP. Its a beautiful song. I like his version better than the original.

It includes a live recording of "In the Morning before Work," a song off the EP, released in 2004. Its a really great song, but nothing new.

He also added "I'm not Seventeen," which can be found on the "Association of Utopian Hollogram Swallowers," a 4 way split between Joan of Arc, The Love of Everything, Owen, and Make Believe. It is worth it to buy just for the Love of Everything song "Proud by Looking Down."

The only new songs are "I woke up today," and "a fever." Both decent songs in their own respects.

I have to say, I'm a little disapointed in the Seaside EP and hope to see more for his upcoming full leangth release which is due to come out in the fall. "At home with..." was of course a masterpiece. Hopefully, he can live up to its repore. I have my fingers crossed.

No comments: